Sports Betting Jargon
Sports betting is extremely exciting, and much more so when the bets win money. You can place bets on a great many sporting events using an online or land based bookmaker (although this depends to a large extent on the local laws), and even win quite a bit of money in the process. Betting on sports can be quite confusing at first, especially on account of the terminology used, but once you get familiar with them you’ll be able to place bets with confidence.
- Start by studying the odds carefully. Any bookmaker will offer you odds for an event you want to wager on. Choose one that offers the best possible odds for the games you want to bet on. In fact, it’s a good idea to use the internet to compare the odds offered by different bookmakers on the same event.
- Learn how to use spreads to your advantage. Point spreads are awarded for an event, whereby the underdog is given a point advantage by the bookie based upon detailed calculations. In case you bet on the favourite then they’ll have to win more points than the spread in order for you to win. If you picked the team expected to lose then it has to lose the event by at least one short of the spread number in order for you to win money. Spreads are often used in sports where the final score is high.
You can place a number of different types of bets as follows, depending on your comfort level with gambling.
- A spread bet is one in which you bet against the spread. You will win some money in the event that team you support scores enough to cover the spread.
- Another option is the over-under bet based upon the combined score of the two opposing teams. You can bet on the ball expecting the total score to be higher than a number decided before the match. Betting on the score being lower than the predetermined number is known as betting on the clock.
- You can also place a proposition bet in which the bookmaker decides the odds of the bet and certain other conditions. This type of bet is generally very popular because it is so interesting.
- A parlay bet is one in which you bet on multiple events, hoping for all events to occur as you expect. This type of bet gives a very high payout but it is quite difficult to win because of the multiple events involved and the low likelihood of all of them occurring according to your predictions!
- A Money Line or Straight Up Bet is fairly simple in that you just have to choose which side will win or lose a particular event and then place a bet on it.
Sports betting can be highly profitable and not just enjoyable. Choose your bookmaker with care so that you get the most advantageous terms for your wagers. In fact, you can even maintain accounts with a couple of online bookmakers so that you can shop around for the best odds.